- When you open WhatsApp on your phone, you will see this update screen. Click “Read more…” on the bottom.
- Once you uncheck the box, you will see this pop-up box confirming that your account information won’t be used on Facebook.
- Now that your screen looks like this, click “Agree.” This will direct you back to your normal WhatsApp homepage.
- Use the three dots in the upper right of your screen to navigate to “Settings” and click “Account.”
- Toggle “Share my account info” to the left. A grey pop-up box will ask if you are sure you don’t want WhatsApp to share your data with Facebook. Tap “Don’t share.”
- Your screen should look like this, with “Share my account info” greyed out. You can click the arrow in the top left to get back to your settings and then to your normal WhatsApp homepage.
Note that your WhatsApp information will still be passed to Facebook for other purposes such as “improving infrastructure and delivery systems, understanding how [Facebook and WhatsApp] services…are used, securing systems, and fighting spam, abuse, or infringement activities.” Changing your settings does ensure, however, that Facebook will not use your WhatsApp data to suggest friends or serve ads.